daisy

Could I be a forensic anthropologist?

After reading Dead Men Do Tell Tales, I feel as if I have gained perspective on how a person chooses their career and learns about their passions. Even though Maples was an undergrad literature major, and even though he graduated for that degree, he went into forensic anthropology because of one professor. In my experience, many college students suddenly change their majors whenever they have an interesting professor or class, which is why I find it interesting that he only needed one class to fall in love with this field. It makes me feel reassured because Maples had no problem going through four years of schooling that had nothing to do with his future career, and still had the heart to change into a completely different major for grad school.
I could not be a forensic anthropologist because, like Maples, visions of dead bodies stacked all around me will surely always be on my mind in the nighttime, a thing that I am sure I would not be able to handle as easily as he did. I am also sure that I would not be able to cope with working with dead bodies without having an emotional reaction; it would be difficult for me to detach myself from a daily job. Though I think the field of anthropology is interesting and exciting, I do not feel that my personality is built for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment